[Help-gsl] memory requirements for doing nonlinear least-squares fitting

From: Yiping Zhan
Subject: [Help-gsl] memory requirements for doing nonlinear least-squares fitting
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:05:15 -0400

Hi,

I got the following error while doing nonlinear least-squares fitting.

*** malloc: vm_allocate(size=590368768) failed (error code=3)
*** malloc[9987]: error: Can't allocate region
gsl: init_source.c:46: ERROR: failed to allocate space for block data
Default GSL error handler invoked.

However, this only happens after at least 3 iterations. And the
program works well for smaller datasets. The size 590368768 correspond
to the size of the Jacobian matrix for my data (1600000 data entries,
46 parameters to fit) (BTW, my machine has >2GB of memory). However, I
don't understand why the error only occurs after a few iterations. Is
the memory usage supposed to increase as the number of iterations
increase?

Any suggestions about how to fix the problem? I appreciate any help.

-- Yiping