help-gsasl

Re: Please ship GPLv3 in the tarball

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Please ship GPLv3 in the tarball
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 22:34:06 +0200

Vincent Untz <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Since some files in gsasl are GPLv3, I think it makes sense to ship
> GPLv3 as COPYING and the LGPLv2.1 as COPYING.lib.

The LGPLv2.1+ files are all in lib/, and lib/COPYING is the LGPLv2.1
license.  All the GPLv3+ files are in the top-level package, where
COPYING is GPLv3.  Do you think that is sufficient?  I tried to clarify
this in the top-level README, which now reads:

  The GNU SASL library (lib/) is licensed under the GNU Lesser General
  Public License (LGPL) version 2.1 (or later).  See the file
  lib/COPYING.  The GNU project typically uses the GNU General Public
  License (GPL) for libraries, and not the LGPL, but for this project we
  decided that we would get more help from the community if we used the
  LGPLv2.1+, as other free SASL implementations exists.  See also
  <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html>.

  The command-line application and test suite (src/, and tests/) are
  licensed under the GNU General Public License license version 3.0 (or
  later).  See the file COPYING.

  The documentation (doc/) is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation
  License version 1.3 (or later).

/Simon