Re: grub2 - add NVME to boot from - how?

From: lejeczek
Subject: Re: grub2 - add NVME to boot from - how?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 19:26:37 +0000

On 16/08/2018 19:38, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 16/08/2018 à 11:42, lejeczek a écrit :
>>
>> How to add NVME to grub? And what mean by "add" is: that you already
>> have grub2 booting off whatever you have it on, then you add another
>> device, nvme in this case, and you add it to grub2 as/with
>> chainloader, so as a result grub will have yet another entry to
>> chainload to another(windows) boot on that nvme.
>>
>> This is I guess that classic case where BIOS/EFI have no support for
>> NVME and I imagine, I hope, grub can be the savior here!
>
> Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK GRUB does not
> have native support for NVME devices and relies on the system firmware
> to access them. So if the system firmware has no support for NVME
> either, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
>
> If the motherboard has an M.2 slot, it is unlikely that the firmware
> does not have support for NVME. Note however that some UEFI firmwares
> may support NVME only with EFI boot, not with BIOS/legacy boot.

I have an oldish box which is has no NVMe support, not in form of M.2
slot, but I got that cheap PCIe M.2 adapter.

Now, I have done dd my original whole drive to NVMe, then I dd my
original drive to another small SSD, fdisk it so only boot partition
remains on this "new" SSD.

Something is obviously missing there in this simplistic approach,
although kernel boots from this new small SSD it does not load the rest
of the whole system.

I am stuck with dracut.

That would be grub or/and dracut need tweaking?

Or any other way to boot a system off a NVMe via a SSD/HDD?
I'm trying chainloader but walking in the dark there.

many thanks, L.