Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:47:17 +0100

Le 09/12/2018 à 22:04, David Collier a écrit :
I am trying to retire an old HD where grub /boot directory happens to
reside, so I am trying to move it to the current Linux root partition which
is on an SSD.

Did you move/reinstall a new GRUB in an EFI partition on the SSD too ?

this is the script used to provide a Windows boot option in the Grub menu:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
menuentry "Windows 10" {
    insmod fat
    insmod chain
    insmod part_gpt

    set root=(hd1,gpt3)
    chainloader /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

the problem is that when trying to pick this option from grub menu when
booting from the new location, it reports 'error: invalid signature'. The
same menu worked fine when it was booting from the old disk (I made double
checked that (hd1,gptr) points at the correct partition).

I assume you checked the (hdN) drive number did not change.

I searched this list and found this thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2016-05/msg00020.html but am
not quite sure how to apply this to the Windows case.

This thread is about GRUB BIOS chainloading, while the above menu entry is obviously for GRUB EFI.

For now, the only explanation which comes to my mind is that the active GRUB is not GRUB EFI but GRUB BIOS, which expects to chainload a boot sector with AA55 signature instead of an EFI executable.