Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -boots slow and strange?

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -boots slow and strange?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 09:26:32 -0500

On 10/20/2018 09:10 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 20/10/2018 à 15:10, Richard Owlett a écrit :

I experiment multiple configurations on my machine.
For my use case the Debian installer has two annoying "features".
(...)
1. If installer installs grub to boot partition it always gives priority
    to the most recent install. *NOT* desirable when experimenting ;}

What do you mean by "install grub to boot partition" ?

Wrong word.
I forget the installer's phrasing. But there is a point where it asks permission to install to a default location on the primary hard disk.

Do you mean that you share the same /boot among multiple installations ?

No.

It seems desirable to me that GRUB gives priority to the system which installed it. What may be less desirable is that the latest GRUB takes precedence over the existing ones. How to avoid it depends primarily on whether the system boots in BIOS/legacy or UEFI mode.

I do not have any UEFI machines.

2. If you want a swap partition used, there appears to be noway of using
    the existing SWAP without changing its UUID - thus breaking all other
    installs :<

Indeed. Note that an existing system can be set up to not rely on the swap UUID but on another persistent identifier such as PARTUUID, LABEL or PARTLABEL (the latter being available only on GPT). Otherwise, I suggest not to use the existing swap when installing a new system so that its UUID does not change, and add it afterwards in the new system config files instead of fixing config files on all other installed systems.

I do it only on the new install.