Re: problems dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10

From: Xen
Subject: Re: problems dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 15:16:59 +0200

David Collier schreef op 08-05-2018 6:58:
Hello,

I am having problems trying to make grub boot Windows 10. (I tried both
version which came with 16.04 and the latest and greatest), what happens, it does not recognize any partitions of the hard drive where Windows 10 is
installed.

So you mean the OS prober right.

Not during boot, but during update-grub.

Because, during boot you can use 'ls' command to list partitions.

I can boot Windows by changing the BIOS default boot flow, the UEFI BIOS is able to do it just fine, but grub just does not refuse to detect Windows boot partition, or any partition on that drive to that matter. I used the 'disks' utility to change format of the Windows boot partition from FAT to NTFS, converting it to NTFS makes the BIOS stop recognizing it, but still
does not help grub to recognize it.

That implies that you are talking about the EFI partition; the ordinary Windows system partition (on a BIOS install) --- (they call the boot partition the system partition) would just be NTFS.

I have no knowledge about UEFI, but apparently you are trying to boot an UEFI installed Windows.