Re: HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE incompatible with grub

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE incompatible with grub
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:16:52 +0100

El 12/12/17 a las 23:17, Michel Bouissou escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Le 10/12/2017 à 23:31, adrian15 a écrit :
>> 2. Can you please try Super Grub2 Disk Hybrid with the DD method?
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.02s10-beta5.iso/download
>>
>> Does the menu appear for you?
>
> I got a chance to test it : It does not boot.
>
> The computer is able to display the key's brand/model (it doesn't show
> "Windows Boot Manager")
>
> But as soon as the key is selected as boot source : Black screen, cursor
> in the upper left, game over.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best regards.

Regarding this machine I think you are finding this behaviour:
* BIOS-only USBs do work well (The isolinux ones)
* UEFI USBs have problems (except the refind one)

So I want you to test:

1) The BIOS-only version of Super Grub2 Disk:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s9/super_grub2_disk_2.02s9/super_grub2_disk_i386_pc_2.02s9.iso/download

It should boot as it is BIOS-only based.

2) The UEFI (64bit)-only version of Super Grub2 Disk:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s9/super_grub2_disk_2.02s9/super_grub2_disk_x86_64_efi_2.02s9.iso/download

Depending on the iso partition design it might boot on your system

3) The UEFI (32bit)-only version of Super Grub2 Disk:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s9/super_grub2_disk_2.02s9/super_grub2_disk_i386_efi_2.02s9.iso/download

Just in case your system is one of those rare 32bit efi systems.

4) A manual UEFI disk based on SG2D standalone image

Format the USB as FAT32 and recreate on it these directories and files:
/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
/EFI/BOOT/APPLE.EFI
/EFI/BOOT/BOOTIA32.EFI

where:
BOOTX64.EFI and APPLE.EFI are:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_standalone_x86_64_efi_2.02s10-beta5.EFI/download
and where:
BOOTIA32.EFI is:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_standalone_i386_efi_2.02s10-beta5.EFI/download

5) (Short for: (5): Just skip it.)

Finally if the laptop is hardcoded to boot from Window when UEFI is
detected (as per the pendrives being detected as Windows Boot Manager)
you can try to use a pendrive that has an UEFI partition like (2)
described above.

So plug that pendrive into another computer and boot from Rescatux
0.41b1. Use the option "Fake Windows UEFI boot entry", select (This is
very important) the EFI partition present at your pendrive (not your
internal hard disk one) and then the BOOTX64.EFI one.
Then Rescatux will create a filename that mimicks the usual windows boot
file that it's find in internal or external windows hard disks.

Unfortunately this option it's going to affect your UEFI NVRAM on your
"Only Boot Rescatux here machine". So that means your UEFI boot entries
would be affected.

This option was designed to be used in the same machine where you want
to fix your boot. I hadn't thought of this specific scenario (Which it's
not very common by the way.).

Now you can plug the usb into the conflictive machine and see what happens.

Wait a moment... this "Fake Windows UEFI boot entry" option seems to be
broken on my rescapp current git head. Let me check Rescatux 0.41b1 one
second. Yeah, it's definitively broken. Probably it's broken in 0.51b3
too. This was useful :). Anyway I'm just talking aloud alone here.

Maybe (2) is not the right disk for doing this steps. Forgive me if it
doesn't make sense but this is a path to explore.

6) Ok, let's forget (5). Do not perform (5).
Now I want you to take the (4) pendrive and modify it a bit so that it
has two new files called:

EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

which its contents would be:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/supergrub2/files/2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_2.02s10-beta5/super_grub2_disk_standalone_x86_64_efi_2.02s10-beta5.EFI/download

7) If (6) does not boot properly please remove the bootmgfw.efi file
from that USB.

What are the results of 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 tests?

Thank you for your feedback!

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software
libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/