Re: GRUB2: Possible to change keyboard layout in stage 1.5?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: GRUB2: Possible to change keyboard layout in stage 1.5?
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2017 09:48:40 +0200

Note : "stages" are GRUB legact concepts which do not exist any more in GRUB. What you are referring to is the core image.

Le 06/10/2017 à 22:05, Quard a écrit :

I'm assuming this extra code comes from the appropriate GRUB2 modules
located in /boot/grub/i386-pc/ folder i.e. luks.mod, cryptodisk.mod,
gcry_sha512.mod, etc. If so, am I safe to assume that other modules can
also be exported into the embedded area (provided they are needed)?

Yes, with the --modules= option passed to grub-install.

The following line was added to /etc/default/grub:
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"

I am not sure that grub-install uses that variable.

Custom commands were added to /etc/grub.d/40_custom:
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
insmod keylayouts
keymap /boot/grub/si.gkb

This has not effect on the core image, only on grub.cfg generated by update-grub.

If you want the core image to use an embedded config file, I you can generate the core image with grub-mkimage with the option --config=. IIUC, the embedded config file must end with

insmod normal
normal

which is what the core image normally does without an embedded config file.

To include other files (such as si.gkb) in the core image you can embed a memdisk image with --memdisk=. The device name is (memdisk).