How to boot a memory stick image of a hard drive?

From: jmh6
Subject: How to boot a memory stick image of a hard drive?
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 15:51:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

  Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question?

I am using latest GRUB2. I have made an image copy of a Linux system running on a hard drive with a reiser filesystem. [ dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc ] sda is a PATA hard drive and sdc is a memory stick.

  I can mount the memory stick on a linux box and all seems OK.

  I try to start that image with grub.

  grub> linux (hd2,msdos2)/boot/vmlinuz

All seems OK. I can see on the memory stick that Grub reads vmlinuz as expected.

grub> boot starts the image. But the image complains that it cannot find its root filesystem.

  I have tried many variations on the root=line to no avail.

  grub> linux (hd2,msdos2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2

I was expecting grub to do whatever magic was needed to make the usb stick available to the kernel as /dev/sda2.

  Is this possible?

I was hoping to be able to migrate an up and running hard disk system with lots of live files to a system running from a memory stick.

  Thanks in advance for your time and help.

  John