Re: Towards a customized Grub2

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: Towards a customized Grub2
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 13:02:13 -0500

On 05/30/2017 09:26 AM, adrian15 adrian15 wrote:

On 05/29/2017 07:17 PM, John Little wrote:

Richard Owlett asked for a grub2 customized to his wishes.

How to obtain and install?

(This from memory before I got an UEFI computer.  Please, anyone,
criticize the following.)

I approve of trimming, BUT ;/
You trimmed one {perhaps poorly worded} sentence too much.
I had said:
  > I am assuming a Grub2 executable conforming exactly to the
  > official documentation.
In your first paragraph you alluded to a "can of worms" I'm trying to
avoid when you said:
  > A lot of what people see as part of Grub, like the "OS prober",
  > "update-grub", and custom entries in /etc/grub.d belong to
  > debian, and grub is agnostic about them.

What I want "to obtain and install" is an "unadulterated canonical Grub2".
Does what I want even exist in the "www.gnu.org/software/grub/" universe
of discourse? Or is Grub2 itself only a set of building blocks and
intentionally not a complete entity {right word?}?

There is not an unadulterated canonical Grub2 (as you understand it in a
binary form that you can just download and install) unless maybe the
Windows release which it's built previous to its release. The rest of the
canonical Grub2 releases only exists as 'source code' and you are supposed
to build them.

I was beginning to suspect as much - see my response to Dale.

You also said:
  > ... running several installs, reinstalling occasionally,...
and
  > ... implies you haven't installed it yet.

That points out something I did not explicitly state in this thread.
My underlying motivation for the question is that I'm experimenting
with releases and configurations. I have a machine physically set
aside for my experiments. I have done as many as 15 installs from
scratch in one week.
I've had as many as 5 fully functioning installs at one time.

I suppose the critical question is "does the Grub2 project have
functional equivalents of "OS prober" and "update-grub"?

What you can do is what you can find on my Super Grub2 Disk project
that is... using scripts that emulates 'OS prober' or 'Update grub'
because it provides a dynamic boot menu based on what you have
installed. Super Grub2 Disk is meant to be run from an external usb
or cdrom though.

You mentioned that yesterday. I got so far as to retrieve a unused flash drive from my stock. Then Murphy's Law triggered. May get to it tomorrow <grin>.

[snip]

Note: 'OS Prober' checks partition starts for determining if an
Operating system is Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and so on. [snip]

No problem. Mr. Gates long banished ;/

I also do not find quite viable your quest of installing many OSes on
one physical machine while avoiding them to overwrite the default
grub which you pretend to install on sda2 (if I'm not mistaken).
I mean, don't get me wrong, it can be done, of course, but you might
forget to untick the Grub installation in one distro installation...

No problem, preseed.cfg to the rescue.

[snip]
But there's a secondary audience for powerusers that install many
OSes in a single system (not so common nowadays because of
virtualisation).

There are also people people like me <*GRIN*>