RE: legacy-bios and uefi boot usb stick

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: legacy-bios and uefi boot usb stick
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 13:25:56 +0000

>>> What displays the message ? GRUB or the BIOS firmware ? Do you get the GRUB
>>> rescue prompt ?
>>> Some BIOS firmwares require that a primary partition has the boot flag.
>>>
>> It seems as though it is grub displaying the message.
>>
>> In one case I get the "invalid partition table!" message and have to
>> cycle the power
>>
> If the message was displayed by GRUB, I believe that you would at least get
> the GRUB rescue prompt.

After videoing the screen, I see that the error message is:

Error: file '/EFI/BOOT/grub/i386-pc/efi_gop.mod' not found
Error: no suitable video modes found

efi_gop* is in i386-efi and x86_64-efi, but not in i386-pc.

If I add "vga=792" then grub gives an error message that this is depreciated,
but the frame buffer is set to 1024x768. If I try "vga=895" the native
resolution of 1366x768 is not set even though it is present in "Xvesa
-listmodes" and is set with uefi boot.

>> It is true that the usb stick that boots has the efi partition set as
>> bootable and the
>> usb stick that fails to boot does not. Since both boot uefi I assumed this
>> did not matter.
>>
> The boot flag is meaningless for UEFI boot, since boot sectors are not used.
>
>> Can fdisk be used to set the partition as bootable without data loss?
>>
> Yes.

Indeed - I set the second partition bootable and now it will boot in
legacy-bios mode - thanks