Re: Two systems -- supposed to be the same, but booting with grub differ

From: Xen
Subject: Re: Two systems -- supposed to be the same, but booting with grub differently. What'd I miss?
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:38:31 +0200

address@hidden schreef op 13-04-2017 17:25:
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017, at 08:14 AM, Xen wrote:
Nothing fishy in your dmesg?

Weird messages being repeated or anything?

Nope.  That was the 1st place I looked.  Like I said, it's all booting
OK.  I'm digging around trying to see if I can get any more detail out
of the boot process.

Well I have a system that gave weird errors until I changed some BIOS options, and booting took about 2 minutes, even just loading the kernel (or having it progress) took very long.

On the other hand I also have a Debian 7 box that I installed on RAID 1 with the Debian text mode installer.

At first they were 2 separate boot partitions but it was a GPT disk (both) and so they had a BIOS Boot Partition of 1 or 2 MB.

Then later I linked the two /boot partitions together in another RAID 1.

Grub was installed on both /dev/sd[ab]1 partitions but those were BIOS Boot Partitions.

So I had no "MBR" to compare to in that sense.

I never had any boot delays, no matter what disk I disconnected.

Basically, I just never had any issues with my Grub install.