Re: GRUB2: Splash screen

From: Prasant J
Subject: Re: GRUB2: Splash screen
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:27:46 +0530

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Prasant J <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Prasant J <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> > I'm using Intel Atom processor for my embedded project.I'm trying to
>> > include
>> > splash screen (background image) for GRUB.
>> >

>> > I add the following lines to grub.cfg:
>> >    insmod png
>> >    insmod vga
>> >    background_image test.png
>> > & then did grub-install
>> > But this did not work.
>> >

>> > So, I tried to drop to GRUB shell and typed the above commands manually.
>> > It
>> > is showing me an error: "no video mode activated".
>> >
>> > Have I missed any other module to be loaded?
>>
>> splash screen requires that terminal output is set to gfxterm
>>
>> insmod gfxterm
>> terminal_output gfxterm
>>
>> before loading gfxterm you may set preferred mode with
>>
>> set gfxmode=xxxx
>>
>> (see manual)
>>
>> > or any other variable that
>> > should be set?
>

> Hello Andrei, Thanks a lot for your response.
>
> In the grub shell I typed the following commands:
>    insmod png
>    insmod gfxterm
>    set gfxmode=1920x1080
>    terminal_output gfxterm
> I see and error at this point: "no suitable video mode found"

Did you also load video driver(s)? You may simply load all of them using

insmod all_video

correct driver should be autodetected (or so the theory :) ).

Hello Andrei,

The command works!! Thanks so much for your help.

But the image displayed in not good. It seems all the 24 bits are not being used.

Can grub2 display 24 bit images?

Regards, Pj