Re: Grub2 plain dm-crypt support

From: John Lane
Subject: Re: Grub2 plain dm-crypt support
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:28:06 +0000

On 18/11/14 19:22, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> В Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:56:46 +0000
> John Lane <address@hidden> пишет:
>
>> Here are patches that can be applied to master (004a2b1ef at time of
>> writing this).
>>
>> 0001 is the result of merging branch peter/devmapper (e7f405abb)
>>
>> 0002 contains the changes that I made.
>>
>> I'm just sending this in case its useful to anyone in any way. It gives
>> a buildable "crypto_devmapper" module but it doesn't work.
>>
> I suggest you open bug on savannah and attach files there; it is better
> for preserving files and tracing the problem. May be there is already
> bug open.
>
>> all the best,
>> John

Andrei,

Well I spent a little time on this and I have a working implementation
but I took a different approach, being that LUKS is a wrapper around
dm-crypt.

What I have done is added plain support to "cryptomount". I have also
extended the LUKS functionality to support detached headers and key
files. Key data may be read from within a file by providing an offset
and, for LUKS, the number of bytes to read (defaults to whole file, up
to a compiled-in maximum).

What's the best way to contribute this? I read your suggestion about
opeining a bug and did that with my uuid patch, only to have someone
suggest that patches go on the mailing list.

Do let me know how I should submit my patches. I have, meanwhile, put up
a page describing my changes and the patches are there. I've also put my
repo on Github. See http://grub.johnlane.ie for the details.

Best regards,
John