Re: GRUB2 support for "map()" and "liveswap"

From: Mellissa Dalby
Subject: Re: GRUB2 support for "map()" and "liveswap"
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:52:44 -0500

Hi Andrei,
The "map()" and "liveswap" commands were working in the legacy GRUB (version
0.97 I think).
They somehow make it possible to work around BIOS limitations in older systems
that prevent the GRUB Bootloader from vectoring off to another hard disk to
boot.

For EXAMPLE:
/dev/sda1       /boot   GRUB
/dev/sda2       /   LINUX boots OK

/dev/sdb1      Windows no boot!

Grub entries using "map()" and "liveswap":

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
liveswap

Somehow fools the BIOS into believing /dev/sdb1 is actually /dev/sda1.

I don't know how it does that because I never fetched the legacy GRUB source
code.