Re: proper way to install to partition

From: Tomas Cech
Subject: Re: proper way to install to partition
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 23:29:42 +0100

At Wed, 3 Dec 2014 13:30:14 -0800,
Jordan Uggla wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Tomas Cech <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > during my experiments with Guix I run into problems with GRUB. I'm
> > trying to install GRUB into partition with EXT4 filesystem containing
> > Guix.
>
> Why are you trying to install grub's boot sector to a partition? It's
> rarely makes sense to do so. Installing to the MBR being the obvious
> choice if you want grub to be your primary bootloader, and using
> multiboot to load grub's core.img from the filesystem (i.e. no boot
> sector at all) if you want another bootloader to reside in the MBR.
> What is your end goal?

As I wrote, I currently experiment with Guix distribution.

If I used MBR, my grub installation or configuration could be
overwritten, broken or so - Guix is still alpha.

I set up instead chainloading - grub loading either Gentoo, openSUSE
or another Grub, configured and managed by Guix - this could also work
as description of my goal.

I'm not sure how to use multiboot, but it may be solution as well...

Maybe I could create section like this with the same effect, but without
embedding?:

menuentry "Guix" {
  search --set=root --label GRUB --hint hd0,msdos4
  multiboot /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
  configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
}

Best regards,