Re: hd0,1 and /dev/sda1

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: hd0,1 and /dev/sda1
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:47:14 -0800

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM, horseriver <address@hidden> wrote:
> hi:
>
>   Boot with grub failed with no finding /dev/sda1.

Grub is not what's failing to "find /dev/sda1", that's the kernel.

>   kernel = (hd0,0)/vmlinuz    root=/dev/sda1

This is a grub legacy command, please upgrade to grub2 (though only
upgrading to grub2 will probably *not* solve your problem, grub2 is
all that this list supports). If you want support for grub legacy for
some reason, try utilizing the support options provided by the
distribution that you are using.

>   when booting ,kernel can be rightly loaded from hard disk
>   but,when mounting root , it can nt find /dev/sda1 .
>
>   what about is the reason?

There are many possible reasons. I would recommend though that you use
an initrd that supports searching for its root by UUID and pass
root=UUID=UUID_HERE instead of root=/dev/sda1 (though that is outside
the scope of grub as it has to do with the configuration of the kernel
and initrd).

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)