Re: openSUSE 12.2 will not boot on UEFI BIOS HP notebook hard drive

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: openSUSE 12.2 will not boot on UEFI BIOS HP notebook hard drive
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:32:41 -0800

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Lee Craven <address@hidden> wrote:
> OpenSUSE 12.2 installation fails after completing the installation of all
> selected software packages and the basic system setup, when the openSUSE
> installation tried to boot into the new Linux system, to perform the
> automatic system configuration:
>
> Error No active partition
> No bootable device – insert boot disk and press any key

This error sounds like your BIOS is (incorrectly) requiring an active
partition on your hard drive before it will consider it "bootable". If
that is the only problem, then setting any primary partition (doesn't
matter which) in the msdos partition table as "active" should allow
you to boot. However since you said that the installer "failed" I am
guessing that that is not the only problem.

> Good afternoon.
>
> I am a true novice and I have successfully installed openSUSE 12.2 on our
> non-UEFI BIOS desktop & our laptop.
>
> I have enabled the Legacy Support AND Secure Boot is disabled.

Not that you should or need to, but despite claims by some you can
boot GNU/Linux on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled.

> I have found some hits in the openSUSE forum discussing the pro's & con's of
> Systemd & sysvinit-init but I am unsure what my course of action is to allow
> openSUSE 12.2 to boot on the hard drive of this UEFI BIOS HP laptop.

This error is happening long before any init system is started, and
thus Systemd vs SysV init isn't relevant here.

> I am able to boot up the Rescue System on the Live DVD I created from
> http://software.opensuse.org/122/en.

To give a better idea of the current state of your system please run
boot info script: http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ from a
LiveCD/DVD/USB and post the RESULTS.txt that it produces.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)