GRUB2 problem with Linux EDD module?

From: Wang Weber
Subject: GRUB2 problem with Linux EDD module?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:21:42 +0800

Hi,

Recently I tried to create a Fedora 14 bootable USB key for X86_64. In the Kickstart script I want to use Linux EDD (Bios Enhanced Disk Drive Services)  module to get the biosdisk information, however I met some strange behaviors. Following is the two tests:

1. Install GRUB2 ((GRUB) 2.00) to the USB key and boot up the system, the EDD module cannot be correctly loaded with following kernel error message:

                edd information not available

2. Install GRUB 0.97 to the USB key and boot up the system, the EDD module could be loaded successfully. All the kernel option is the same with the previous case.

Looking into the code, Linux uses BIOS INT41 and INT48 calls to collect disk information during boot up stage, it seems that when GRUB2 is used, these calls cannot give correct information...

However, I also tried to add debug information to GRUB2, the INT41 worked correctly for GRUB2.

Anyone could help me to explain the reason? Thanks a lot.

-Weber