RE: Installing GRUB 2 on Windows only system

From: Electuur Electuur
Subject: RE: Installing GRUB 2 on Windows only system
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:33:39 +0200

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:17:29 -0700
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Installing GRUB 2 on Windows only system
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Jacques van Langen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have no experience with grub and little experience with Linux, but would
> > like to install GRUB 2 on a HD with Windows XP on the first partition and
> > Windows 7 on the second partition. There is no Linux on the HD. To install
> > it I use an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD. I read the GNU GRUB 2 Manual, but there was
> > too little information for me to succeed installing GRUB 2. My main problem
> > is that I have not enough information on the meaning of the parameters from
> > grub-setup –h, and grub-install –h, and if it is possible at all, to install
> > GRUB 2 on a HD with no Linux.
> >
> > I have the following questions,
> > Where can I find an better explanation of the parameters and/or a better manual.
> >Would it help to read the manual from GRUB Legacy or is GRUB 2 completely different?
> > I use apt-get to install GRUB 2. Does this work with a Live CD?
> > Can you give me the sequence of commands that I should execute to install grub from I live CD on a Windows only system.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated,
> >
> > Thanks Electuur.

> To be honest, if all you're doing is booting windows you may as well
> just use the built in multi-boot support ntloader has already. It
> sounds like you just want something easy, and grub would not be 'easy'
> if you never install linux.

I forgot to CC address@hidden in my answer to Michael Evans.

I don't want to use the ntloader because:
It messes around with drive letter assignment.
It doesn't have the functions I want, because I want to hide partitions I don't use.
I want to learn to use Linux, Xen and GRUB.
Maybe it is best to install Linux on the HD to make things easier.

Ontdek nu Windows phone. De smartphone van dit moment