Re: libstdc++.so.5 vs. libstdc++.so.6 and external libraries

From: Yuval Kfir
Subject: Re: libstdc++.so.5 vs. libstdc++.so.6 and external libraries
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:37:30 +0300

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> You should not link together code compiled with g++-3.3.x and 3.4.x.  Such
code is not link-compatible."

Can you explain the dangers here?

I build shared C++ libraries with gcc-3.2, but I want people using these
libraries to be able to link them to applications built using gcc-3.4 too.
I looked at the changes page for gcc-3.4
(http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html) and could not find anything that
spelled immediate trouble (we run on x86, not MIPS). I ran some tests, too -
besides the linker warning about a possible conflict, everything seemed to
work fine. In particular we were worried about throwing exceptions up a
stack that was partly version 5 and partly version 6, but that worked (from
v6 to v6 across some v5 stack frames).  Also, STL calls seem to work fine
(we don't use STL in our SDK, but the end user can).

Where can I expect trouble, do you think?

- Yuval
--
Yuval Kfir, Kernel team
Mainsoft Corporation