Re: what is a virtual thunk and why is it being discarded?

From: llewelly
Subject: Re: what is a virtual thunk and why is it being discarded?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:21:47 -0600

Gav Wood <gav@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> while trying to build my project, i ran across this linking error.
>
> the strange thing is i'm pretty sure i didn't touch the destructers between
> now and when it worked fine; i just added an extra virtual method. i've
> tried removing destructors, changing the virtualness of them and rebuilding
> everything but the problem persists. i cant find any mention of it on
> google, so perhaps one of you could help me decipher it:
>
> gcc -shared  buffer.lo connection.lo processor.lo processorgroup.lo
> signaltype.lo linksession.lo properties.lo bufferdata.lo
> processorforwarder.lo processorfactory.lo llconnection.lo lrconnection.lo
> lxconnectionnull.lo lxconnectionreal.lo xlconnection.lo xlconnectionreal.lo
> lxconnection.lo rlconnection.lo splitter.lo source.lo wave.lo matrix.lo
> spectrum.lo mlconnection.lo lmconnection.lo  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/qt/3/lib
> -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/qt/3/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -L/usr/qt/3/lib /usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so  -Wl,-soname
> -Wl,libgeddei-0.1.0.so -o .libs/libgeddei-0.1.0.so
>
> virtual thunk [v:0,-16] to geddei::LxConnectionReal::~LxConnectionReal
> [in-charge](): discarded in section
> `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN6geddei16LxConnectionRealD1Ev' from lmconnection.lo
>
> virtual thunk [v:0,-16] to geddei::LxConnectionReal::~LxConnectionReal
> [in-charge deleting](): discarded in section
> `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN6geddei16LxConnectionRealD0Ev' from
> lmconnection.lo

I suspect this means the implementation file containing the
    definition of the first non-inline virtual function is not being
    recompiled.

Make sure every implementation file including the header file
    declarint geddei:LxConnectionReal is properly dependent on that
    header.

However I am guessing; could you please proivde a short but complete
    example which is sufficient to reproduce your problem?