help-gnustep

Re: Install GNUStep on Ubuntu 16

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Install GNUStep on Ubuntu 16
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 09:46:53 +0000

We are now exiting the land of GNUstep and entering the world of Debian package management.

Trick in Debian/Ubuntu for finding out package name:
dpkg -S /full/path/for/a/file/from/the/package
Or you can look at a previous email I sent to you. :)

Note that you are doing it the wrong way around, and your uninstall of the Debian package may end up deleting things from the manually installed set of files, or leaving unwanted things lying around.

Note also: if you used the above metapackage (gnustep-devel) to install gorm, ProjectCenter et al, removing package containing gorm may remove gnustep-devel. This doesn't remove ProjectCenter etc, but it does mean these auto installed packages no longer have anything holding on to them and you will get suggestions to remove them. To mark them as manually installed, just apt-get install them. To mark them as auto installed again, apt-mark auto packagenamehere.

Note also: I would suggest you use this VM a learning system. Don't use it as a longterm setup, because you've started mixing Debian packages and manually installed stuff. Eventually try to figure out how to do a full manual install.

I am afraid you might end up discovering xib loading fixes are in gnustep-base or gnustep-gui, which will bring you back to "I need a manually built system after all (because everything will be newer)".