help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Checking the installation issues

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Checking the installation issues
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 10:34:15 +0000

Hi Sven,

Svenerik_vn transcribed 3.7K bytes:
> "Can you please describe in detail the steps you did in the installation,
> what you did to start GNUnet, etc pp?"
>
> Well I just went "$ sudo apt install gnunet" and "$ sudo apt install
> gnunet-gtk" etc.

Okay, that's the old 0.10.1 series. It is stable, but a significant portion of
the network moved on.
We still have some last bugs to solve before we can release a new version. If
you are not
comfortable building from source, 0.10.1 still works for checking GNUnet out.

> And I used the command provided in the guide I linked you which was "$
> gnunet-gtk" to
> start it.

Okay, additionally you must set up gnunet in the system or user context.
gnunet-arm, or short "arm", is our "Automatic Restart Manager" which is
the entry point for GNUnet sessions. If you want to run GNUnet, this is
what you execute, or a system-integrated solution providing the same

> "I can guess that maybe the instruction wasn't clear enough that gnunet-arm
> -s has to be issued and how GNUnet is supposed to be set up?"
>
> Uhm.. where in the instructions do I find this?

Since the Drupal based books are no longer maintained, here are the temporary
new pages. Consider them quasi-official as I'm the de-facto main author of the
new Documentation started from the base of the old texts:
https://d.n0.is/pub/doc/gnunet/manual/gnunet/gnunet.html#Configuring-the-system

This is irregulary updated, you can get a PDF output as well, this is the
start page of the documentations: https://d.n0.is/pub/doc/gnunet/manual/

I just went through the books and it really is not very obvious (the
gnunet-arm command)...

In theory, Debian ... Are you using Debian? What does `cat /etc/os-release |
grep "PRETTY_NAME"`
print out?... should provide a systemd service file for gnunet. However the
0.10.1 release could
predate Debian stable's switch to systemd if I'm not wrong.

In any case, does something like

systemctl status | grep "gnunet"

or

"systemctl start gnu" followed by (on the same line, directly after "gnu")
<TAB><TAB> (basically command-completion)

show anything?

If not I have more than one job to work on.

> "If you can answer these questions you will help people who want to use
> GNUnet in the future."
>
> I'll try my best, but I have limited background knowledge in computing.
>
> "because frankly the current status of how to get started sucks."
>
> Well it definitely isn't very "newcomer-friendly" I can tell ya that.

If you have the patience, I'd like to solve this with you. Not too many people
approach us for help, at least in the last 2 years, about installing and setting
up GNUnet. It all goes into an echoe chamber in social networks usually.
So I really think it's very good you contacted us.
Ideally we can achieve the following:

* you will get GNUnet running and set up
  (we're all doing this on our free time, so the mailinglist works best, more
people
  could help, shared knowlege. Of course if you don't want this, it will work
out too)
* following the struggles you can describe, the manual can be updated and
* if no systemd service file in Debian exists, we can add a set of service file
suggestions
  to the code base (which you can then use). Furthermore, Debian has a point of
orientation
  for the next release of GNUnet (optimistic case).

I have CC'd our help mailinglist again, but if you state that you want
to solve this offtopic, I will respect your decision with the next reply.