help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] Compiling for FreeBSD

From: alan somers
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Compiling for FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 09:58:28 -0600

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 1:07 AM, Felix Salfelder <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 11:01:54PM -0600, alan somers wrote:
>> The gmake issue isn't too bad.  Lots of software needs gmake when
>> built on FreeBSD.  The bigger problem is that gnucap requires GCC.
>
> interesting.
>
>> FreeBSD's default compiler is Clang, and GCC is a huge dependency to
>> bring in.  It would be great if Gnucap would compile with Clang.  The
>> following patch gets Gnucap to compile, but not link., with Clang.  I
>> get link errors like this:
>
> cannot reproduce. which clang? here
> $ clang++ --version
> clang version 3.8.1-16 (tags/RELEASE_381/final)
> Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir: /usr/bin

$ clang++ --version
clang version 3.9.1 (tags/RELEASE_391/final)
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/local/llvm39/bin

I can believe that the const-correct error would depend on a certain
version of Clang.  But are you saying that you don't get the linker
errors either?

>> -CCC = g++
>> +CCC = c++
>
> thats implemented in make. type
> $ make CCC=c++
>
> but yes, configure should know about it. other projects have
> ./configure CXX=c++. we should do likewise. any volunteers?
> (i'd prefer "CXX" over "CCC".)

> autotools does is "right". if we don't switch, somebody can still port
> that. (note that there is an autotools branch ...)

+1 to autotools