help-gnuastro

Re: [help-gnuastro] Output file requires root

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: Re: [help-gnuastro] Output file requires root
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 00:42:14 +0200

Hi Francesco,

Thank you very much for the great reports,

On 10/22/2016 10:47 PM, Francesco Montanari wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying out some programs (mainly astcosmiccal and asttable)
and they look very nice, thanks!

When installing the programs in a local folder everything works fine.
However, when installing in a system folder (./configure && make && make
check && make install):

$ astcosmiccal -z 1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file
/usr/bin/.libs/9000-lt-astcosmiccal: Permission denied

This would require to run gnuastro with root privileges. Is this
expected and is there a way to avoid it? Just out of curiosity, what is
the purpose of this .libs/ folder?

This is certainly not expected. I have opened the following support tracker issue on Savannah, lets continue the discussion there:

https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?109171

A couple of possible minor issues:
- section 9.1.3 (Invoking CosmicCalculator) of the book, it looks like
in the examples there should be no equal sign after short options, e.g.
  $ astcosmiccal --onlyvolume -z 0.8

Thank you very much for reporting this, bug #49419 (link below) was opened for it and it has been corrected:

- in gnuastro-0.2 the man page of asttable seems to be missing

Thanks also for reporting this bug, bug #49418 was opened for it and it has been fixed:

Cheers,
Mohammad