can I tell gcc/ld in Mingw/Win32 to generate a WinNT .SYS (driver) file?

From: Frantisek . Rysanek
Subject: can I tell gcc/ld in Mingw/Win32 to generate a WinNT .SYS (driver) file?
Date: 24 May 2006 02:29:13 -0700

Just playing around, please excuse my silly question:

I'm trying to figure out if I could try some basic kernel-space driver
experiments in Windows (NT-based), without getting MSVC+DDK, i.e. using
Mingw, that I'm already using for some simple user-space programming.

My idea is that, apart from some kernel-space header files, I need to
tell my compiler/linker NOT to link to libc, but rather to link the
bare object file (compiled from my code) with a binary "header", that
would be compliant to the Microsoft .SYS format used for NT drivers. As
long as the resulting binary exports the expected driver entry/exit
point symbols, and the .SYS format is fine, such a driver might as well
work, right?
Does -D__KERNEL__ work under Win32 by any chance? :-)

In an attempt to test compatibility the other way around, I tried doing
an objdump -xs on some SYS files from C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\, but
objdump complained about unrecognized file format...

Any ideas are welcome

Frank Rysanek