cpio large files

From: h . b . j . ensing
Subject: cpio large files
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:33:27 +0100

Hello Orion,

Thanks for your reaction and the reading hints. I will dive into it.

I will also send this mail to <help-gnu-utils@gnu.org> as you suggested.
Maybe someone will pick this up and kindly provide me with some answers.

Meanwhile I've got a new version of (g)cpio working for Compaq Tru-64, HP-UX
and Sun Solaris.
Especially Solaris posed a big problem because of the 'long long' data type,
but I solved it.

I have introduced a new option '-HBIG' and a corresponding header-format
'070708'.
Theoretically this should work with files up to 218 TB in size. We have
succesfully tested it with files of 11 GB.

If you have any remarks about the above please let me know.
One last question: how should I go about with the version numbering? The
current version is (as you will probably know) 2.4.2. How should I name it
after my changes? 2.5.0? 2.4.3? 2.4.2B? Any ideas?

Regards,
-Harm BJ Ensing-
-Atos Origin Telco Services-
-unix support-