help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Re: Max users

From: Andrew Kohlsmith
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Re: Max users
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:06:54 -0400

> At that installation we migrated from Radiator (commercial $$$ software)
> with flat text files (ugh) to Radiator/LDAP. LDAP is VERY nice for a back
> end to radius. Built in replication that resyncs without issues. The 2
> admins that did that migration spent 2-3 months dedicated to the task of
> getting that setup so I won't begin to say it's easy. Perhaps LDAP has
> come further since then though. I'm waiting for LDAP utilities and the
> protocol to grow more before I commit to it though. If I outgrew mysql
> here tomorrow I would switch to Postgres and manage replication manually.

That's actually not a bad idea.  I'm not sure how well LDAP handles under
constant-write though...  it was designed to be mostly read from (i.e.
directory).

> I hope (open)LDAP grows to my liking and gnu-radius supports it before I
> have to switch again though.

LDAP is quite a nice thing.  Addressbooks support it, there is even talk of
some SQL databases supporting it as a frontend.  (i.e. you now have SQL and
LDAP access methods to the same data store).  It will be neat to see.

> I'd be interested in knowing what version of mysql were you using? I've
> only heard people talk of issues with it. Never seen details. Perhaps this
> part would be better suited off list though since it doesn't relate
> directly to gnu-radius.

It was an older version (this was 4 years ago) -- and with Cistron Radius too.
Cistron wasn't the problem though, because we used Cistron with Postgres for
a while before moving up to GNU-Radiusd.  I must say I really like this
Radius daemon over the others I've tried (Cistron, Livingston, and a couple
others I can't remember at the moment).

Perhaps the easiest thing for me to do for accounting replication would be to
do periodic dumps from the main server..  say every 30 minutes grab what's
changed in the last 30 minutes and insert them into a backup.  If the primary
cannot be reached, switch to the backup, and swap roles (primary now polls
the back up for data every 30 minutes)...?

Regards,
Andrew