help-gnu-music

Re: Problem when interpreting Lilypond computed tex file with LaTeX.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Problem when interpreting Lilypond computed tex file with LaTeX.
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:47:28 +0100

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a very strange problem which may (?) be due to my LaTeX
> distribution : teTeX 1.0.7 (??? again)
>
> Here is the problem : when interpreting a particular file (rondo.ly
> --joined -- I'm typesetting for the Mutopia Project) I get "TeX capacity
> exceeded, sorry [main memory size=263001]"
>
> Trying to get rondo.tex by invoking lilypond -f tex is OK.
>
> Now, processing rondo.tex with LaTeX give the same error *BUT*
> processing it with TeX works fine....
>
> It complains about memory lack but *much* bigger orchestral score
> compiles well... so what ?
>
> No problems with other scores, nor problems with regular LaTeX files...
>
> I'm lost and I can't figure what is the problem's solution (I've not
> changed my teTeX distribution since a lot of monthes and the problem
> raised very recently with the typesetting of this particular piece)....
> My mistake with the score file ? But Lilypond don't complain...
>
> Has anybody a start of explanation and the charity to give it to me ?
> Thanks !
>
> Here are joined pieces : a log file (typescript), the LaTeX log file
> (rondo.log) and the rondo.ly file...

I have experienced similar problems with some scores.
I think the main limitation is not the total lenght of the
score but the amount of graphical objects on each page, since
TeX processes one page at a time. One reason that Lilypond
consumes so much memory is the heavy use of embedded postscript
code. Your example consumed 276733 words of memory on my machine,
so you were not far above the limit.
Anyway, the solution is simply to increase the memory pool
in tex. You do it by changing a couple of lines in the file
texmf.cnf. The easiest way to find the location of the file
is to run the command 'kpsewhich texmf.cnf'.
What you should change is the two variables extra_mem_top and
extra_mem_bot (maybe one of them is enough, but I've never
investigated it further), I've set both to 100000 in my
installation. Note that you need root access to make the
changes. Alternatively, I think you can make a local
copy of the file and set the environment variable
TEMFCNF to the directory where you keep the copy.

    /Mats