help-gnu-music

Re: Multiple platform install

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Multiple platform install
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:05:37 +0100

> How do I install Lily for multiple platforms (no root permissions)?
>
> I want to use "~/usr/" as prefix, but I want the binaries to be located
> in "~/usr/$HOSTTYPE/bin/" instead of "~/usr/bin/".
> Would it work just to "make" lily and then correct "~/usr/bin/" to
> "~/usr/$HOSTTYPE/bin/" in the config-file. - And then "make install" one
> time on each platform?
> Will this cause trouble with $HOSTTYPE being replaced with the actual
> hosttype instead of just being used as the env-var?

You can specify the prefix and the bin directory separately,
using the flags --prefix=PREFIX and --bindir=DIR to configure.
However, I don't think you'll get any problems if you move the
binaries in the installation. The information used during
make install is probably read from the config.make file,
which suggests that you could change the corresponding line
to "$(HOME)/usr/$(HOSTTYPE)/bin/" if you want the makefiles
to work without any change on all the platforms.

Have you read the section on multiple platforms in INSTALL.txt,
it may be useful, even though you probably don't need different
configurations in this case.

     /Mats

> Hope you understand my silly english.

No problem.