help-gnu-music

Re: DC al Fine

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: DC al Fine
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:35:31 +0100

> How do you do a DC al Fine, and have lilypond recognize it as such, so that
> lyrics are placed accordingly?

Currently, Lilypond doesn't ``understand'' a Da Capo
(in the sense that it understands repeats, e.g.).
However, I'm not sure what you'd expect it to do with the
lyrics.

Wait a second. Let's say you have to parts of music, A and B,
and you want to typeset

A         B
  Fine      DC al Fine

isn't that structurally equivalent to a repeat, where A
is repeated twice with B as the Prima Volta and no
Secunda Volta? This would imply that you could use
\repeat volta 2 {A} \alternative {{B}{}}
turn of the volta brackets and the repeat sign (see
a recent thread on this list) and add the "Fine" and
"DC" as text scripts. Still I don't really see what
you'd gain compared to just typesetting it the normal
way.

      /Mats