help-gnu-music

Re: Series of problems with 1.3.110

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Series of problems with 1.3.110
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 00:37:51 +0100

> Hi Lilypond-experts,
>
> Actually a series of problems when using 1.3.110. I didn't upgrade but
> did fresh install on RH 7.0.
>
> 1. There is a lilypond-mode for Emacs in the source dir. How to get this
> mode to work? I did something similar to loading python mode:
>
> (setq auto-mode-alist
>        (cons '("\\.ly$" . lilypond-mode) auto-mode-alist))
> (setq interpreter-mode-alist
>        (cons '("lilypond" . lilypond-mode)
>              interpreter-mode-alist))
>
> (autoload 'lilypond-mode "lilypond-mode" "Lilypond editing mode." t)
>
> This doesn't work, which means: I do not see any extra menu's when
> opening ly files, no syntax highlighting etc. NOTE: I've Emacs 20.7.1.

Emacs searches for library files in the directories listed
in the variable load-path ("CTRL-h v load-path"). Either
you have to put the lilypond-mode files in some of these
directories or you could add a directory to the search path
(I have the following in my ~/.emacs file, for example,

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/lib/emacs") load-path))
don't remember to start a new Emacs after you've changed .emacs).

> 2. All temporary files for TeX, tfm and pk files, come in my working
> directory, instead of being placed in /var/lib/? Why is that?

Please see the FAQ at
http://appel.lilypond.org/wiki/index.php3?LilyPondFaqs

> 3. When running ly2dvi on any file, I get the warning that character 127
> isn't found.

That's harmless and has been solved in 1.3.113.

> 4. When running dvips, I get lots of messages about lacking src
> pictures. Nevertheless readable output.

Again, harmless! See the FAQ at
http://appel.lilypond.org/wiki/index.php?PostProcessing

> 5. When trying ly2dvi -K and doing pdftex on the tex file, I get that
> lilyponddefs.tex or something the like is not found. However, I have
> added the lilypond-profile script to my /etc/profile.d dir so the
> texinput should be found. Any solutions or betters ways to produce pdf
> out of Lily? Previously, I did it with 1.2.15, dvips and ps2pdf (GS) and
> that produced quality output. Now, I get Type3 fonts again when doing
> this, which is bad. How to avoid these problems?

Unfortunately, there are no Type1 version of the Lilypond fonts.
However, I think that you could get .pfa files, i.e. some kind of
vector Type3 fonts. Also, I remember that someone made a fix
to be able to use these with pdftex, but it was a long time
ago and does certainly not work out of the box.

> 6. Basically, I'm doing Lilypond for being able to get music examples in
> a LaTeX text, which will definitely be made with geometry package on. So
> lilypond-book will not work, and I anyhow planned to make the examples
> in a separate file, because I do not to much trust all those runs on my
> dissertation files. I prefer to make the examples in separate files and
> include the eps's in my LaTeX files manually. Is there any way to do
> this without lilypond-book. In other words: is it possible to do ly2dvi
> and just make a small score without being limited to a4 and the like?

The latest versions of lilypond-book is supposed to know about
the geometry package.

   /Mats