Is Elisp really that slow? (was: Why is Elisp slow?)

From: tomas
Subject: Is Elisp really that slow? (was: Why is Elisp slow?)
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 09:32:54 +0200

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 02:38:58AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> If it is possible to have Elisp as fast as CL
> or even as fast as C (!), the only problem is
> no one has been motivated to do it! ???
>
> Are there not young people and university
> students who would love such a challenge?

One last attempt: this whole thread is based on the premise
that there is one clear definition of slow. Yet, there isn't.

Back in the 1980s, the (micro-) computers were so slow, that
access to main memory wasn't a problem at all. I know of one
design where two Z80 ran off the same static RAM, taking turns
to access it.

Somewhat later, RAM was so slow that we had to interpose several
layers of cache between it and the CPU (that is still the situation
nowadays, which brought upon us Meltdown and Spectre).

A tad later, CPUs stopped getting faster at sequential execution.
Making pipelines deeper and things stopped being fun, and transistors
are at the current limit of how fast they can do. But, we can make
them cheaper and smaller (and perhaps somewhat less greedy on
electrons), so packing more CPUs on the chip is becoming more
fashionable [1].

If you want to be really fast these days, you have a gang of
fairly dumb processors all doing the same instruction at a
time (SIMD). It's weird to program that: if you take a branch,
you have to decide for one side, and throw away those members
of your gang which went the other way (well, you throw their
results away, actually). Perhaps pick the second branch up
in a second pass.

Of course, the definition of "fast software" changes radically
when your bedrock moves that quickly. The second "generation"
above made cache-efficient algorithms interesting (somehow
a rebirth of the 70ies, where you had very limited RAM and
somewhat bigger external memory). In the third generation,
parallelizable algorithms became more interesting (did you
know that bubble sort, the laughing stock of CS, parallelizes
pretty well? If you have more processors than time, this one
isn't that bad). The fourth generation... well. Interestingly,
functional languages help in making fast programs for those
strange beasts without getting crazy.

What I don't like about this thread is that "fast" is being
treated as the only metrics (it isn't) and as if it were a
metrics at all (it isn't either).

Cheers

[1] Sometimes you see that coming and bet too early on it.
    Alas, Sun is no more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Niagara

-- tomás