Re: debug-ignored-errors usage

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: debug-ignored-errors usage
Date: Sat, 04 May 2019 01:06:50 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In the case of beginning-of-buffer, the error
> is usually not due to a problem in the code,
> but a problem in the user's action, which is
> why it's placed in debug-ignored-errors
> (there's usually no point entering the
> debugger for that condition since it does not
> reflect a bug that we'd want to track down).
> [...]
>
> Many/most commands try to make sure that
> *something* happens in response to the
> command, so the user knows that the command
> was indeed executed. Echoing is one way to do
> that when the command wouldn't do anything
> else otherwise.

In a kitchen, if you pull out a drawer, and at
some point it won't come out any longer because
of some small built-in brake flaps or whatever
to prevent it from falling down on the floor if
pulled too far - and all this works, so it
stops in good order - is this a) an error,
b) something that needs to be communicated
explicitly to the kitchen operator, or
c) something else?

IMO the echo area is far too chatty and only
writing this I noticed several messages that
are of no value to me.

To take another example than those mentioned:
"Auto-saving...done" and "Mark set". In what
way(s) do I benefit from seeing them?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573