Re: Why gdb inside emacs cannot print out c++ object?

From: Kevin Gao
Subject: Re: Why gdb inside emacs cannot print out c++ object?
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 17:48:36 -0700

Thanks, the original problem has gone away.

About the link you shared:

etc this code.

*#include <map>*
*#include <string>*
*int main() {*
*    std::map<std::string, std::string> m = {{"aaa", "bbb"}};*
*    auto p = m.begin();*
*    return 0;*
*}*

gdb in emacs can print the value which "p" points. gdb prints out "*$1 =
{first = "aaa", second = "bbb"}*"

Emacs speedbar can show the value correctly. Speedbar shows "*p {first =
"aaa", second = "bbb"}*'

The issue is: gud -> locals window cannot show the value correctly. It shows
*std::_Rb_tree_iterator<std::pair<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const,
std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > > >   p <complex data type>*

Do you know if it is possible for locals window to show correct value which
p points to? locals windows is more handy than gdb command and emacs
speedbar.

Thanks,
Kevin