Re: Saving a window configuration ?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Saving a window configuration ?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 19:48:39 +0100

>>>>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:09:54 -0500, jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> said:

    jonetsu> If 15 files are opened and the frames are saved, then the
    jonetsu> files will need to be re-opened one by one and only after
    jonetsu> doing that can the saved positions and sized of the
    jonetsu> frames be restored to produce what's expected: restoring
    jonetsu> emacs like it was when last left, with all the files and
    jonetsu> all the frames.  As far as I consider my query, this is
    jonetsu> pretty much half-cooked.  What's the use of wanting to be
    jonetsu> able to restore emacs like it was with all the frame
    jonetsu> sizes and positions AND the files, in a single operation,
    jonetsu> if all the files have to be manually opened before ?  If
    jonetsu> all the files have to be manually opened then might as
    jonetsu> well forget about the size and position of the frames and
    jonetsu> re-organize them.

    jonetsu> What I would like is to get back to emacs with the 15
    jonetsu> files being displayed just like they were last time.  The
    jonetsu> corollary to this mechanism would be that since it can do
    jonetsu> that, it can thus reload any other saved "buffers &
    jonetsu> frames" (B&F for short).  So if I switch from one project
    jonetsu> to another I can save the current B&F and then switch to
    jonetsu> the other project's B&F in one operation, ready to
    jonetsu> continue from the exact same place it was left
    jonetsu> before. And later on switch back to the previous
    jonetsu> project's saved B&F

This sounds like you want to use 'desktop-save'/'desktop-read' in
combination with 'desktop-restore-frames t' (along with specifying a
project directory every time you call those functions)

desktop.el might be overkill though, it saves a lot of state.

Robert