Re: Saving a window configuration ?

From: jonetsu
Subject: Re: Saving a window configuration ?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:09:54 -0500

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 05:27:11 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Yes, see frameset.el.

I'm afraid this is only half of it.  From the comments:

;; It should be noted that restoring the frames' windows depends on
;; the buffers they are displaying, but this package does not provide
;; any way to save and restore sets of buffers (see desktop.el for
;; that).  So, it's up to the user of frameset.el to make sure that
;; any relevant buffer is loaded before trying to restore a frameset.

If 15 files are opened and the frames are saved, then the files will
need to be re-opened one by one and only after doing that can the
saved positions and sized of the frames be restored to produce what's
expected: restoring emacs like it was when last left, with all the
files and all the frames.  As far as I consider my query, this is
pretty much half-cooked.  What's the use of wanting to be able to
restore emacs like it was with all the frame sizes and positions AND
the files, in a single operation, if all the files have to be manually
opened before ?  If all the files have to be manually opened then might
as well forget about the size and position of the frames and
re-organize them.

What I would like is to get back to emacs with the 15 files being
displayed just like they were last time.  The corollary to this
mechanism would be that since it can do that, it can thus reload any
other saved "buffers & frames" (B&F for short).  So if I switch from one
project to another I can save the current B&F and then switch to the
other project's B&F in one operation, ready to continue from the exact
same place it was left before. And later on switch back to the previous
project's saved B&F