Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:31:36 +0100

Van L wrote:

> A different explanation might be that they
> wanted to shield the inner electronics from
> ESD or pin bends by the computer
> owner's wunderboy.

ESD = Electrostatic discharge [1]. But this is
not a different explanation. It is the same:
buyers are buyers and only buyers.

If people were to mess around with their Apple
hardware sometimes they would brake it and be
forced to by a new machine. But chances are
they wouldn't buy it from Apple a second time
around, party because of their own failure.

Chances are also they would *succeed* with
whatever they are doing and then feel so happy
about themselves and their unique machine they
wouldn't buy another one for ages. Apple can't
have that.

> All it takes is for them to hire
> a confederate or undercover spy and Apple
> is screwed.

That won't be necessary. People who want to
know will find out no matter what. But it
doesn't matter if one guy out ten thousands
does it. What matters is this habit won't
spread. To quote Mr. Bush, ~"You can't fool
everyone. But you can fool some, and those are
the ones you should focus on."

>> Typing this, I don't see my RPi. Because it
>> is behind me :)
>
> Ah, but you know it is there and how
> it looks.

Still, I like the way the RPi looks! But if the
board was red instead of the much calmer and
more pleasant green, I wouldn't like it
as much.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

--