Re: 1L?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: 1L?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:11:59 +0100

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 05:34:33PM +1100, Van L wrote:
> tomas writes:
>

> > That said, the Emacs docs /are/ available for Debianites, under
> > the non-free section. Where's the problem?
>
> There's less of a problem if GNU/Emacs
> can discover the documentation is
> missing and describes the 'non-free'
> steps to follow. I don't use Debian :-)

Perhaps that's the problem ;-P

> Maybe GnuSense doesn't have the problem
> at all.
>
> >> On NetBSD the Emacs package is difficult, cross referencing to the C
> >> source code is too hard.
> >
> > What do you mean by that?
> >

> If I look up the documentation for
> 'eval' function, it says
>
>   eval is a built-in function in ‘C source code’.
>
> I get a dialog box on clicking the
> 'C source code'.
>
> I list the contents installed and find
> there's no src/ directory provided by
> the NetBSD pkg_add installer.

This would be a problem/bug in the NetBSD packaging. I'd complain
to them.

> MacPorts also does not provide the
> src/ directory in the emacs-mac-app,
> emacs-devel packages.

I've little experience with Mac.

> Previously, when I was building GNU/Emacs directly
> from src the click on 'C source code' just worked.

That's what I still do. It still works.

[...]

> How should the .emacs file be structured
> to simultaneously work with 26 and 27's
> M-x customize?

I can't help you there, since this involves the intricacies
of packaging. I build from source (since for Emacs, I /want/
bleeding edge; otherwise I'm infinitely grateful that there's
Debian and all those great maintainers!). As you already noted,
it Just Works(TM).

It is the package's maintainer's job to keep this functionality
alive in the packaged version, isn't it?

If I were you, I'd file a bug report with NetBSD.

Cheers
-- tomás