Re: Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Emacs gnus (tls) IMAP connection problems with Google
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 20:13:17 +0300

Kostas Zorbadelos (2019-01-26 13:13 +0200) wrote:

> Hello all,

Hello,

> I use emacs gnus for all my mail handling mostly over IMAP.
> A recent upgrade in my Arch system left me with a very strange
> problem. My software versions:
>
> GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
>  of 2018-07-05
>
> gnutls 3.6.5-4
>
> My .gnus.el hasn't changed for a very long time, looking like this:
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                                   (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                   (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")))
>
> Everything worked very well until I got the following errors connecting
> to Google's IMAP service (could be that a recent gnutls upgrade is
> responsible, older versions of emacs and gnutls I use in other Linux
> systems have no such issue)
>
> *Messages*
> Opening nnimap server on gmail...
> Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
> Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: Process *nnimap*<1> not running
> Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed:
>
> Sometimes however (rarely) the connections are established OK.

I think I have a similar problem: whenever I try to enter my gmail group
for the first time, I get the following error:

  gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn’t request group nnimap+gmail:INBOX:

But if I enter it again immediately, it opens successfully.

Sorry, I don't have more information, it is just a "me too" message :-)

--
Alex