Re: Suggestions for OOP C++ 'IDE'-like functionality ?

From: Douglas Davis
Subject: Re: Suggestions for OOP C++ 'IDE'-like functionality ?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:37:39 -0500

Hi,

I'll come from an LSP
(https://microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/) side... you
have quite a few options here for your C-family language server
provider:
- clangd (https://clangd.github.io/)
- ccls (https://github.com/MaskRay/ccls) (leverages the same clang
APIs that clangd leverages)
- and you mentioned cquery

clangd is part of the llvm project and under active development. ccls
originated from cquery and is under active development. I don't know
much about cquery. All three of these can be used as a C++ language
server.

You have two options (that I know of) for using LSPs in Emacs:
- lsp-mode (https://github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-mode)
- Eglot (https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot)

w.r.t. a suggestion: personally I use Eglot with clangd (every few
weeks I build the llvm HEAD to get the most recent clangd). I have
zero complaints (https://ddavis.fyi/blog/eglot-cpp-ide/). I've used
lsp-mode as well, but it's been a while. Only con: When I used
lsp-mode I felt it was a bit clunky with options and extensions, where
Eglot is quite minimal, which I view as a pro. I think lsp-mode has
improved that aspect recently - I don't think you can really go wrong
with either.

Cheers,
Doug