what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character

From: Angus Comber
Subject: what coding system to select when I insert a unicode character
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:38:37 +0000

I sometimes need to insert mathematical symbols into my emacs text files
and when I do I get prompted for a coding system.  And the default is
japanese-shift-jis which seems strange when less than half the population
of the world is Japanese.  I am in the UK, what coding system should I use?

I am inserting unicode characters.  eg c-x 8, then enter a unicode number.
eg 2203 for the existential quantification symbol.