Re: concat vs format

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: concat vs format
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 19:02:01 +0900

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 13:09, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a difference between:
>> (concat firstPartofURL secondPartofURL) and
>> (format "%s%s" firstPartofURL secondPartofURL)?
>
> If both args are strings then no; the result
> is the same.  But the functions are very
> different - they take different args and,
> aside from some cases like this one where
> the result is the same for some args, their
> uses/purposes are different.

Thank you.

I'm trying to create URLs from dates and at one point I get a concat that
outputs "/path/to/url/..." instead of "/path/to/url/12/04/index.html".
I checked the code and put format instead of concat and got the same result.
All the things I try to concat are strings that I progressively build over
other strings, and edebug gives me correct values up to the point where the
wrong string is created...

I'm going to re-check the whole thing...

Jean-Christophe Helary