Re: gksu and server

From: tomas
Subject: Re: gksu and server
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 18:31:12 +0100

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 06:07:34PM +0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to start a graphical Emacs for other user (Debian here btw) from
> a running X session with gksu, an su frontend.  Since some days,
> starting the Emacs server from such an Emacs instance fails with
>
>   signal(file-error ("Creating directory" "Permission denied"
> "/run/user/1000/emacs"))
>   files--ensure-directory("/run/user/1000/emacs")
>   make-directory("/run/user/1000/emacs" t)
>   server-ensure-safe-dir("/run/user/1000/emacs")
>   server-start(nil inhibit-prompt)
>
> User 1000 is the one owning the X session - i.e. the wrong one.
>
> I dunno what makes the difference.  Does anyone know why this could be
> happening?

Uh-oh. It looks like Emacs trying to start a server (probably running as
a different user, because of gksu, but probably inheriting something
magical from your environment, because it's trying to hit /run/user/1000).

To me it looks like desktop environment conventions getting tangled up
in their own red tape.

I don't use a DE, so I can't be of much help. But to answer a question
you haven't posed (soory ;-): have you tried Tramp's
/sudo:<user@host>:/path/to/file?

Since I learnt that I've no need to start Emacs under another UID anymore...

Cheers
-- t