Gnus mail splitting / Gmane / gnu.emacs.help / mailing list

From: Emanuel Berg
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 17:27:44 +0100

Now that one is disencouraged to use the
newsgroup (gnu.emacs.help) because of the
threading issue, and newcomers cannot use Gmane
(gmane.emacs.help) because of the
authentication issue, here is how one can do it
with Gnus to get away with at least half the
self-respect intact.

First add an nnml group. Here, I called it
mail.geh. ("geh" for gnu.emacs.help, no doubt.)

Then add this to split mail from the mailing
list to that group:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.geh" "\\(From\\|To\\|Cc\\):.*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
        ;; add more here the same way if need be
        ("mail.misc"      "")
      ))

Maybe you would like to killfile, or rather
downscore which is recommended and much better,
maybe you'd like to do that to yourself so you
don't see your own posts.

You can still bring them up by entering the
group and do `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles'
(I think the original key for that is `/ o';
I have it just `o') which ignores the scoring.

In a way that doesn't make sense but it can
nevertheless be used in this particular
situation. There are other ways to do it,
as well.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573