Re: How to commit hunks using VC?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: How to commit hunks using VC?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 02:34:16 +0700

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 1:45 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> - I often find that I need to install only part of a hunk, which is
>   easy to do if you go through "stash + edit + commit + unstash".

You have a pretty complex definition of easy.

In Magit, the status buffer displays a diff of my workspace against
the current branch, and I can stage lines in the marked region, or the
hunk at point, or the file at point, or all modified files, by
pressing ‘s’. Then, I commit by pressing ‘c c’.

If I need to commit a change that is finer than a single line, I can
press ‘RET’ on the relevant line in the diff, which takes me to the
buffer of the file at point, with point on the corresponding line. I
can edit the line, save the file, switch to the status buffer, stage
the line, switch back to the file, and undo the changes so that I
could put them in the next commit. Stash never enters the picture.

(If the goal is to use VC specifically, then I don’t know the answer.)