Re: Newsgroups mailing-list gateway broken thread

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:44:57 -0600

Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
> Emanuel Berg wrote:
> > Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
> >> After some discussion I’ve realized that in
> >> fact mailing traversing the newsgroups
> >> mailing-list gateway receive different
> >> message-ids in their references, which, in my
> >> mail user-agent (gnus) break the threads.

Yes.  When users post to the newsgroup and it is gatewayed into the
mailing list it breaks threading.

> >> I say that because it appears not to break
> >> anything on the mailing-list archive web
> >> interface (and to affect most if not all of

It does break on the web interface too.  It's no different there than
anywhere else.  Messages from the newsgroup break threading and start
a new thread. :-(

> >> newsgroup posters), so I’d like how does it
> >> do (does it have mappings of all correct
> >> message-ids to other message-ids?), and how
> >> other users of the mailing-list do, or what
> >> can be done to improve the situation.

There isn't anything special about the web interface.  Threading is
broken there the same as elsewhere.  Therefore there is no magic to
extract from there to add to your own to fix threading.

> >> Thanks for any information.

> > (Important note: This post is *not* sent thru
> > gnu.emacs.help, but from gmane.emacs.help -
> > like I say below, it is 20 times slower. But:
> > how do the references look now?)
>
> The references are just fine, they correctly references my message.
> I expect the newsgroups gateway *should* work.  So this is to fix,
> rather than suggesting gmane as a workaround (the issue of it being
> slower is a separate issue).

Emanuel, We have talked about this before. :-)

> I believe this is be on the GNU side, because I saw references referring
> to same garbled message-ids, with “mailman” in them: so if different
> newsgroup users, such as Emanual Berg and Barry Margolin gets the same
> references while using different gateways to usenet, and this one has
> “mailman” in it, I think it is not only common to all newsgroups users
> (thus coming from GNU), but also coming from either mailman, either
> something interfacing with it, I guess.
>
> The question is why.

This is a deja vu as we have discussed this before.  This link jumps
right into some detail from that previous discussion.

 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-06/msg00147.html

Of course the web email address redactor with all of the address
hidden redactions make reading that on the web quite difficult.  One
could ftp down the mailbox and then have the full mailbox of messages.

AFAICT messages through the Stanford newsgroup to email relay do not
include the In-Reply-To header and therefore break threading.  A
message may have the References header with information about previous
messages in the thread causing the message to thread before where it
should thread, and if only one deep them be completely disconnected
from the original thread.

In the intervening two years since the previous discussion nothing
substantial has happened.

Bob