Re: call-process and incremental display of output

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: call-process and incremental display of output
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:59:28 -0400

> I see.  Further questions: How can I restore the window configuration
> after the process terminates?  Is there something similar to
> save-excursion?

Depends if you care about whether the buffer might be displayed in
another frame (as would typically be the case in my config).

If you don't care about other people's configs and you only use a single
frame, there's save-window-excursion (but for configs like mine, every
use of save-window-excursion is generally a source of problems).
A simpler solution to "undo" a pop-to-buffer is to (bury-buffer).

> How can I make the displayed buffer to scroll to the end?

You might like to (setq-local window-point-insertion-type t) in your
buffer (make sure you do it before the buffer is displayed in a window).

        Stefan