Re: emacsclient and reverseVideo in Xresources

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Subject: Re: emacsclient and reverseVideo in Xresources
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 22:03:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, Javier wrote:

Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:
- I am launching emacs from within a dark xterm, all commands are manual
- "emacs -nw" launches emacs with the same (dark) background *in the same
terminal*
- "emacs -Q -nw" behaves the same (-Q explicitly skips processing of Xresources)
- "emacsclient -nw" launches emacs with white background *in the same
terminal*, i.e. it reverses the colours!
- My .Xresources instructs all X applications to reverse colours with this line:
"*reverseVideo: true"
- The same colour reversals mentioned above happen also when I start emacs from a
white-background xterm (using "xterm +rv")

My findings so far indicate that emacs-server loads my Xresources file and
sets some internal state that instructs all new emacsclient instances to
reverse colours. I believe that this should happen only if emacsclient is
not opening the new frame as a console application.

I get the same as you.  To make the thing faster to reproduce:

emacs -xrm 'emacs*reverseVideo: true' --exec \
    '(progn (setq server-name "reverseVideo_TRUE_server")
            (server-start)
            (insert server-name))' &
emacs -xrm 'emacs*reverseVideo: false' --exec \
    '(progn (setq server-name "reverseVideo_FALSE_server")
            (server-start)
            (insert server-name))' &
sleep 2
xterm -e emacsclient -nw -s reverseVideo_TRUE_server  &
xterm -e emacsclient -nw -s reverseVideo_FALSE_server &

Thanks, this makes it easy to demonstrate the issue.

Dimitris